raw, vegan, gf chocolate mousse cake with chia
May 1, 2017 at 9:48 am | Edited by Riri Tan
hooray, labour day!!
To all the hard workers from all around the world, regardless of which industry you are battling in. On this special day of the entire year, we celebrate by doing nothing. Ah, the joy of doing absolutely nothing..
But here is the first world problem.
We need food. Something sweet, hearty and a little festive. So today is the day where we scream that we deserve a huge slice of comforting cake to warm our cold feet and to nurse our sore thumbs. Raw, vegan and gluten-free, this incredibly creamy, rich and velvety chocolate mousse cake with Harmony® Halvia is just divine. The chia seeds just give an exciting crunch, defying the smoothness of the chocolate layer. But our favourite part lies on the moment where the dark, silky stream of goodness touches a pond of soft, crumbly base. Glorious and satisfying.
Now text yourself a little 'thank you' and dive into this mouthwatering wholesomeness, because that is exactly what we are going to do.
RAW, VEGAN, GLUTEN-FREE
CHOCOLATE MOUSSE CAKE WITH CHIA
Cashews are soaked overnight for a creamier texture. Raw, toasted or air-fried cashews would work great.
Coconut sugar can added sparingly until your desired level of sweetness is met. Entirely optional. Brown sugar works too.
Harmony® Halvia chia seeds are USDA and EU certified organic and premium-graded.
It is super packed with Omega-3 fatty acids, fibre and natural antioxidants. A key ingredient to balance out the Omega-6 with its rich Omega-3 fatty acids profile.
Acts as a really great binder in this recipe.
1 cup of almond meal
1 cup of cacao powder
4 tablespoons of maple syrup
1 1/2 cups of air-fried cashews
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1/2 cup of maple syrup
1/2 cup of cacao powder
1/2 cup of Harmony® Halvia chia seeds
Flesh of 1 ripe medium avocado
Flesh of 1 frozen banana
1/2 cup of drinking water
Few pinches of coconut sugar
1. To prepare the base, oil a 9” round springform cake pan with coconut oil (if coconut sugar is used) or any flavourless oil to give a nice flavour and sheen around the cake edges. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, combine almond meal, cocoa powder and maple syrup. Mix thoroughly for a couple of minutes, until they have resembled a sticky paste.
3. Press the base mixture into the oiled cake pan, firm and even, until it is compact and slightly sturdy. We find hands over cling wrap helpful to even out the base.
4. Leave it in the freezer to set.
5. For the filling, first drain the cashews (soaked overnight).
6. In a blender, fill the soaked cashews and the rest of the ingredients (except for Harmony® Halvia chia seeds) and whir away. It would take a few minutes until it is completely smooth and silky.
6. Check for the consistency, it should be a little watery at this point. Add more filtered water if necessary.
7. Turn off the blender, add Harmony® Halvia chia seeds into the smooth mixture and combine evenly. You can add more if the mixture is still runny.
8. Remove cake base from the freezer.
9. Pour the filling over the cold base, even it out with a spatula. You can sprinkle more Harmony® Halvia chia seeds at this point to give the cake more crunch. It is entirely optional.
10. Cover it with cling wrap firmly and leave it in the freezer overnight, or 4 hours at least, to set.
11. Now enjoy! Serve when it is slightly thawed to enjoy the mousse-like consistency.
Here is what we have leaRnt.
we have tried all the tricks for you.
Never use a conventional cake pan. A springform saves the world and so much time. Never force a cake out of the pan. Nothing ever comes out good by force anyway. Investing in a cake slice marker might be a smart choice.
So here is what we did. We ran tap water over the edges and bottom of the cake pan when it is still icy cold to release the cake out of the pan nicely. We boiled some water, dipped a sharp knife into it and sliced the cake into even slices, wiping the knife clean before the next slice.
We have tried storing the cake in the freezer for up to almost a week, and it is still as good as it should be, so no worries on that. Just relax and enjoy the mess! After all, it is a holiday.
Happy Labour Day from Nature Care Life Science!